| PC Sales in First Week of June Rose 32.8 Pct. From Year Earlier
June 29, 1998 (TOKYO) -- Sales of personal computers at volume
retailers of household appliances in the first week of June (June 1
to June 7) rose 32.8 percent in volume and by 15.6 percent in value
, compared to the same week last year (June 2 to June 8), according
to data collected by GfK Japan Ltd., an information service company
dealing in POS data.
|It was the first time in four weeks that
the year-on-year increase in volume was more than 30 percent (See table).
PC manufacturers were gearing up to start selling new models for the
summer sales campaign season. However, new models were at shops
only from the second week of June. Spring models, which became
obsolete earlier than those of last year, pushed up the number of
sales, according to GfK.
The average sales price in the first week of June was 220,260 yen
(US$1,560), up only 1,143 yen from 219,117 yen (US$1,550) in the
Microsoft Windows 98 will be put on sale in Japan on July 25. PC
manufacturers will sell models with Windows 98 pre-installed
together with the release of Windows 98, which is expected to
stimulate stagnating consumer spending. However, the summer sales
season may peak in July. Also, sales in June compared to the same
month last year are unpredictable.
The data released by GfK Japan is from about 2,000 outlets of 41
firms. The company selected the 41 in 1996 and has been releasing
their data since then.
GfK Japan covers a far greater number of outlets with combined unit
-based sales accounting for about 10 percent of total domestic PC
shipments and about 25 percent of total retail sales.
The following graphs are at Nikkei Market Access in Japanese only:
- Trends in the number of (all types of) PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount (in money) of (all types of) PCs in a
- Trends in average sales prices of (all types of) PCs sold in a
- Trends in the number of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the number of notebook PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of notebook PCs in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of notebook-size PCs in a week.
Table: PC sales in the fourth week of May 1998 (source: GfK Japan
"Year-before weekly comparison" in the Table means the comparison
with June 2 to June 8, 1997.
(return to news)
Related story: PC Sales for 4th Week of May
(Nikkei Market Access)