|Sales by value rose 23.5 percent, according to GfK Japan, an
information service company that provides point of sales (POS)
The sales for the fourth week of April
surpassed the results for the same week in the preceding year
(from April 28 to May 4, 1997) by 15.2 percent in the number of
PCs and by 2.7 percent in terms of value. (See
This was the fifth straight week in which weekly sales of PCs
surpassed the year-earlier sales level. However, PCs also sold at
a brisk pace in the fourth week of April and the first week of
May last year because that period comprises the "Golden Week"
holiday season in Japan. Weekly sales of PCs this year showed a
small growth from the preceding year both in number and value.
On the other hand, the average PC price declined from 226,015 yen
(US$1,660) to 222,361 yen (US$1,630).
Average retail prices of PCs continued declining from the fourth
week of March. The average for notebook PCs fell 5,448 yen
(US$40) from the mean of the previous week in the fourth week of
April. The average for desktop PCs fell 1,570 yen (US$10) from
the preceding week. The main price range of PCs has fallen below
210,000 yen (US$1,540). However, a further decline in prices is
not expected because PC makers are scheduled to introduce new
models in late May.
The data that GfK Japan releases comes from about 2,000 outlets
of 41 firms. GfK Japan selected the 41 in 1996, and it has been
releasing their data since then.
GfK Japan covers a great number of outlets with combined unit
sales accounting for about 10 percent of total domestic PC
shipments and about 25 percent of total retail sales.
The following graphs are published by Nikkei Market Access in
- Trends in the number of all types of PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of all types of PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in average sales price of all types of PCs sold in a
- Trends in the number of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of desktop PCs sold in a
- Trends in the number of notebook PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of notebook PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of notebook PCs in a week.
Table: PC sales in the 4th week of April 1998 (Source: GfK
"Year-before weekly comparison" in the Table means
the comparison with April 28 - May 3, 1997.
(return to news)
Related story : PC Sales in 3rd Week of April Rose 7.9 Pct. From