(Nikkei BP Group)
(No.1 High-Tech News Site in Japanese)
| PC Sales Brisk in First Week of Sept., from Year Earlier
October 5, 1998 (TOKYO) -- PC sales at volume retailers of household
appliances have been brisk, in part because widely publicized products
were recently put on the market, including Microsoft Windows 98 launched
in late July and the iMac PC in late August.
|According to data collected by GfK Japan Ltd., an information service
company dealing with POS data of appliance stores, PC sales in the first
week of September (Sept. 7 through 13, 1998) declined from the previous
week in volume by 7.1 percent and value by 8.3 percent.
However, when compared with the same week a year earlier, sales increased
47.1 percent in volume and 42.4 percent in value.
Week-on-week sales of both desktop and notebook computers fell, but were
higher by nearly 50 percent in comparison with a year earlier.
Apple Computer Inc.'s iMac and some popular notebook computers as well
as LCD desktop computers have seen very low inventories. Sales were
slack in the middle of July, and started picking up in September.
The average sales price of both desktop and notebook PCs combined declined
by 2,928 yen from 228,794 yen (US$1,690) to 225,866 yen (US$1,660).
The data released by GfK Japan comes from about 2,000 outlets of 41 firms.
GfK Japan selected the 41 firms in 1996 and has been releasing their
data since then.
GfK Japan covers a greater number of outlets with combined unit-based
sales accounting for about 10 percent of total domestic PC shipments
and about 25 percent of total retail sales.
The following graphs are at Nikkei
Market Access in Japanese only:
- Trends in the number of (all types of) PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount (in money) of (all types of) PCs sold in
- Trends in average sales price of (all types of) PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the number of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of desktop PCs in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of desktop PCs in a week.
- Trends in the number of notebook PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of notebook PCs in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of notebook PCs in a week.
Table: PC sales in the first week of September 1998 (source: GfK Japan)
with the same week last year is a comparison with September 8 through
(return to news)
Related story: Japan
PC Sales Top 1997 Level for Seven Straight Weeks
(Nikkei Market Access)