(Nikkei BP Group)
(No.1 High-Tech News Site in Japanese)
| Japan PC Sales in 2nd Week of September Rise 40 Pct
October 12, 1998 (TOKYO) -- Personal computer sales in Japan registered
year-on-year growth for the ninth week in a row the second week of September.
|This also is the eighth week that the increase exceeded 40 percent.
The information service company GfK Japan Ltd.,
which handles POS data for large-volume electric appliances stores,
said personal computer sales at about 2,000 mass-volume electrical appliance
stores grew by 5.5 percent in number of units and 5.1 percent in money
terms from the previous week. Compared to the same week last year (Sept.
15-21, 1997) the number of units grew by 43.6 percent and sales in money
terms grew by 41.6 percent (See table).
The average sales price declined by 694 yen from 225,868 yen (US$1,790)
in the preceding week to 225,174 yen (US$1,785).
Around this time in 1997, the prices for the summer models underwent
a significant decline. This year, however, the prices held fairly stable.
This is thought to be due mostly to the release of Windows 98, which
delayed the release of new models by PC manufacturers well into late
The shop prices of notebook PCs have been especially stable, so this
week the price exceeded the previous week's by 8,797 yen (US$70).
The data GfK Japan releases are from about 2,000 outlets of 41 firms.
GfK Japan picked the 41 first in 1996 and has been releasing their data
GfK Japan covers a far greater number of outlets with combined unit-base
sales accounting for about 10 percent of total domestic PC shipments
and about 25 percent of total retail sales.
The following graphs are at Nikkei
Market Access in Japanese only:
- Trends in the number of (all types of) PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount (in money) of (all types of) PCs in a week.
- Trends in average sales price of (all types of) PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the number of desktop PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of desktop PCs in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of desktop PCs in a week.
- Trends in the number of notebook PCs sold in a week.
- Trends in the sales amount of notebook PCs in a week.
- Trends in the average sales price of notebook-size PCs in a week.
Table: PC sales in the second week of September 1998 (GfK Japan survey)
comparison with last year is made with the period Sept. 15-21, 1997.
(return to news)
Related story: PC Sales Brisk in First Week of Sept. from Year
(Nikkei Market Access)